Aromatic Lentil Soup
share this recipe
- 275 g mix of brown, red and green lentils
- 2 tbsp Excella Sunflower Oil
- 1 Large onion chopped and peeled
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 L vegetable stock
1. Rinse lentils in a colander and drain.
2. Heat oil in a large pot, add onions and garlic and sauté.
3. Stir in all the ground spices and tomato puree and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in lentils and stock, bring to the boil then reduce to simmer uncovered until lentils are very soft approximately 30 to 40 minutes giving it a stir every now and then.
5. If the soup seems too thick add a little more water.
6. Split the soup in half and puree half using a hand blender.
7. Add pureed soup to the other half and adjust thickness if necessary with a little hot water.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with warm bread.