share this recipe
- 2 L Excella Sunflower oil for frying
- 200g dark chocolate
- 200ml cream
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar mixed with 2 tsp cinnamon
1. For the chocolate sauce, melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a boiling pot of water. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the cream until combined and smooth. Add ½ tsp chilli flakes or more if you’d like a bit more heat.
2. For the churros, heat up the oil in a deep saucepan to 180°C.
3. Place a bowl over a boiling pot of water and add the butter, sugar and salt. Wait until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved before adding the flour, stirring until all combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and stir thoroughly after each addition.
4. Spoon the mix into a pastry bag, with a star-shaped nozzle, and pipe the dough directly into the heated oil, cutting the pastry when the churro is about 15cm in length. Make sure not to crowd the pot and remove the churros once they’re golden brown, after approximately 4 minutes.
5. Place the warm churros in the cinnamon sugar mix and roll around until they’re coated. Serve with the chocolate chilli dipping sauce.