share this recipe
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup Excella Sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 cup pecan nuts
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup butter
- 250g cream cheese
- 4 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two round cake trays with greaseproof paper.
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and the eggs, vanilla extract and Excella Sunflower oil in a separate bowl before adding to the dry ingredients and mixing thoroughly.
3. Stir in the pecan nuts, pineapple and bananas and split the batter equally between the two cake tins.
4. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the cake springs back when you press lightly on the centre of the cake.
5. Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tins and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the icing, cream the softened butter and cream cheese until combined, then add the icing sugar and continue to beat until creamy.
7. Once the cakes are cool, ice the top of one of the cakes with half the cream cheese icing before sandwiching the second cake on top and icing the top, spreading it evenly on the surface with a spatula, and on the sides of the cake if you’d like to cover it completely.
8. Sprinkle crushed pecan nuts on top for decoration.