share this recipe
- 10g yeast
- 500g white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 200ml milk
- 50g butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 large free range eggs, beaten
- 1.5L Excella Sunflower oil
- 200g caster sugar, for coating
- 250g jam, preferably raspberry or apricot
1. Combine the yeast, flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter, milk and sugar. Heat until the butter begins to melt then remove from the heat, stirring until completely melted. The mixture should be body temperature, not too hot.
3. Add the beaten eggs and stir quickly before adding to the flour mixture. Bring together to form a sticky dough (you can add a little more water if necessary) and tip out onto a counter to knead for 10 minutes or so.
4. Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl, with a little oil over its surface and covered in clingfilm. Leave in a warm place and allow to rise for an hour or so until doubled in size.
5. Once risen, remove from bowl, roll out to about 2cm thick and cut out disks of 7cm in diameter until all the dough is used up. Place disks on a lightly oiled tray, cover again and leave to rise for a further hour.
6. Heat the Excella Sunflower oil in a large pan until 175°C in temperature and then add the dough rounds, without crowding the pan. Fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
7. Once cooked, remove from the oil and place in a shallow dish of caster sugar so that the entire doughnut is coated.
8. Allow to cool before creating a small hole in the side of the doughnut and piping a generous amount of jam into the centre.