share this recipe
- 4 large aubergines
- ½ cup Excella Sunflower oil, for brushing aubergines
- 2 Tbsp Excella Sunflower oil for the sauce
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 x 400g tinned tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 handful fresh basil, leaves torn
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 200g breadcrumbs
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C and lay some greaseproof paper over baking tins. Slice the aubergine lengthwise into 1-2 cm pieces and brush them with the Excella Sunflower oil. Place them on the baking tins, season with salt and pepper and bake until golden brown on the outside, and tender on the inside.
2. While your aubergines are baking, start your tomato sauce by heating up the 2 Tbsp Excella Sunflower oil in a wide saucepan and frying first the onions until they’re translucent, and then adding the crushed garlic cloves.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar and bring up to a simmer, allowing the mix reduce until it’s nice and thick, and squashing the tomatoes if they’re whole. Season to taste and blitz up with a stick blender until the sauce is smooth. Stir in the torn up fresh basil leaves.
4. Grease a large baking dish with Excella Sunflower oil and start layering up your dish – start with a spoonful or two of the tomato sauce, followed by Parmesan and then a single layer of aubergines. Continue to layer until you’ve used up all the ingredients, finishing with the tomato sauce and a final scattering of Parmesan.
5. Combine the breadcrumbs with a bit of Excella Sunflower oil, salt and pepper and sprinkle over the top of the tomato sauce.
6. Place in the oven, set at 190°C, for half an hour until crispy on top.