share this recipe
- 8 large free range eggs
- 1kg chicken sausage
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- Excella Sunflower oil for frying
1. Make sure your eggs are room temperature before placing in boiling water and cooking them to a soft-boiled stage, approximately three minutes. Remove and place in cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Meanwhile, remove the chicken sausage meat from the casing and mix with the fresh parsley and salt and pepper until well combined. Portion the sausage meat into 8.
3. Peel the eggs and make sure they’re dry before coating in a fine layer of flour (this will help the sausage meat stick to the eggs).
4. Flatten a portion of sausage meat in your hand and cover the egg, making sure there are no gaps.
5. Roll the meat-covered egg in flour, then beaten egg and breadcrumbs, before rolling again in the beaten egg and breadcrumbs (this gives the scotch eggs a super-crunchy shell).
6. Heat your Excella Sunflower oil in a deep pan until it’s at 190°C. Place four of the scotch eggs in the oil, and fry until each side is golden brown. Remove and place on a cooling rack so that they stay nice and crispy. Repeat with the remaining four once the oil has gotten back up to 190°C temperature.
7. Enjoy on a picnic or as part of a cheeseboard, with lots of mustard!